Models of the Moment: Trans Models Breaking Barriers

For MEGA’s September issue, we look up to the face of resilience and the pursuit of inclusivity in fashion through these remarkable trans models

The presence of trans models on the runway signifies more than just a change in aesthetics—it represents a profound shift toward inclusivity and authenticity in all facets. As the fashion industry becomes more reflective of diverse experiences, these trans models are proving that their stories and successes are pivotal to the narrative of modern fashion—as told in the MEGA September 2024 issue.

RELATED: Monumental: 50 Models of the Moment

mega september 2024 models of the moment trans justine llarena andraina coronel taki shimada
To be recognized as a woman for transwomen is a continuous fight, and the cover views them in that light

Justine Llarena

Justine Llarena finds it unbelievable to be a model of the moment. “It actually feels surreal for me because ever since I really wanted to be a model, and now that I’m living it, sometimes I have to pinch myself,” she shares. “This is it. I manifested it.”

mega september 2024 models of the moment trans justine llarena andraina coronel taki shimada
Justine Llarena

As one of the few trans models in the industry, Llarena expresses immense pride in her representation. “I’m so proud of myself because to have that representation in the media is so rare nowadays,” she says, her voice filled with emotion. “Growing up, I had no one to look up to because I only knew about the transgender word when I was still studying in college.” She is overwhelmed by the opportunity but is excited about how her presence will make her parents proud when and where her face is seen.

Andriana Coronel

Andriana Coronel expresses enormous pleasure in being a part of this cover shot. “Being a transgender in the industry is really hard, but it’s also fulfilling,” she reflects. “I’ve been working in the industry for seven years now, and this is my second editorial with MEGA. Finally, it’s a huge step forward.”

mega september 2024 models of the moment trans justine llarena andraina coronel taki shimada
Andriana Coronel

Coronel’s involvement in a cover with 50 models constitutes a major milestone. “At first, it was really hard, but in the long run, it made me more of the woman I am becoming,” she explains. “Booking jobs as a trans model in shows makes me proud.”

Taki Shimada

Taki Shimada describes her participation in the shoot as intimidating yet fascinating. “It feels both overwhelming and exciting because it’s not every time that MEGA covers models like this,” she tells me. “This is one of the very few times they’ve done something like this, and to be a part of it is a new experience for me.” Her excitement emphasizes the value of this moment, both for her and for the broader depiction of transgender models.

mega september 2024 models of the moment trans justine llarena andraina coronel taki shimada
Taki Shimada

Reflecting on the September issue’s scale, Shimada finds it empowering. “Even though the industry has become more inclusive, there is still some discrimination,” she notes. “Being part of this shoot marks something significant for me and other girls like me. It validates their dreams and opens doors for more inclusivity.” Her presence in such a high-profile issue represents a step forward in fashion’s ongoing journey toward greater acceptance. 

Shimada also views her role as a leader, paving the way for future generations of transgender models. “In a way, me being a part of this opens up doors for more girls like me,” she says. “I always want inclusivity and exposure for girls like me because we need to let them know that their dreams are also valid.” Her message is clear: perseverance and hard work are crucial in an industry that is still learning to fully embrace diversity.

mega september 2024 models of the moment trans justine llarena andraina coronel taki shimada
The visibility of trans models confirm the changing outlook of fashion and society

Justine Llarena, Andriana Coronel, and Taki Shimada are industry luminaries who are transforming the landscape and confirming the importance of representation. Their paths mirror the changing face of fashion, in which various views and experiences are acknowledged, valued, and, most importantly, visible.


Photographed by TIM DUENAS
The post Models of the Moment: Trans Models Breaking Barriers appeared first on MEGA.

Models of the Moment: Trans Models Breaking Barriers
Trending Updates Central

No comments:

ads
Powered by Blogger.