Plus-size model Rona Tai shares how self-love is key to a healthy lifestyle

Entrepreneur and model Rona Tai tells us why self-confidence is an essential component of a fit and healthy lifestyle

This is an excerpt from MEGA’s October 2023 Fitness feature.

In the unforgiving landscape of social media, where opinions are flung like arrows, judgments held up as shields, and the currency of validation often measures no more than a fleeting “like,” plus-size model and body-confidence advocate Rona Tai stands tall amid the storm of criticism. 

It was a happy Christmas morning in 2021 when the world, or at least a part of it, was thrust into an unwarranted tempest. The occasion was a seemingly innocuous holiday photo shared by Rona’s husband, TV personality Eric Tai, known to many as “Eruption.” It was a photo of them enjoying their time at a resort in their swimwear. 

Yet, amidst the blue skies and sun-kissed smiles, a storm brewed in the comment section. People, emboldened by the anonymity of the internet, engaged in body-shaming directed at Rona.

Rona, being a woman who chose not to be defined by the malicious opinions of others, responded with grace that resonated far beyond the confines of the screen [written as is]: “To everyone that body-shamed me on my husband’s recent Christmas post. My prayer for you is to find true & unconditional love. Not just from your significant other, but also from yourself.” 

Fast forward to the present, and I find myself seated across from Rona, in a studio in Quezon City, on a rainy day. The soft pitter-patter of raindrops against the windowpane is a stark contrast to Rona’s radiant presence, her positivity, and the warmth she exudes. 

It is evident that she is not just a plus-size model but also a poster girl of self-love, and an inspiration to countless individuals who have been made to feel inferior because of their size or shape.

HER UNFORESEEN IMPACT

As we begin our conversation, she opens up about her journey as a plus-size model and a body-confidence advocate, illuminating the path that led her to embrace these important roles. 

“For me, it just started as a simple act of sharing my posts on social media. I never really intended to become anything more,” Rona tells MEGA. “My parents instilled in me from a young age that I am more than my size. It’s about honing your talents, skills, and how you treat people. That’s what truly matters.” 

She recalls how her husband, Eruption, a prominent figure in social media, inadvertently became the catalyst for her online influence. “I started posting updates on my life when I moved back from Washington State to the Philippines,” she recalls. “People began to see the real me, the authenticity that I couldn’t fake. Messages poured in, and I realized the impact I could have by just being myself.”


Read more about how Rona Tai is proving that fitness comes in all shapes and sizes in MEGA’s October 2023 issue, now available on Readly, Magzter, Press Reader, and Zinio.

Photography KIM SANTOS

Creative Direction JONES PALTENG

Art Direction NICOLE ALMERO assisted by GJ FAJILAN

Fashion Direction KAT CRUZ-VILLANUEVA

Beauty Direction MIA CASTRO

Styling MIK TABIMINA assisted by LYNUS SANTOS

Hair DEXTER LOPEZ

Shoot Coordination LAURD SALEN and SAMANTHA ESTANIEL

Sittings Editor BAM ABELLON

Shot on location ONE HECTARE STUDIO. 

The post Plus-size model Rona Tai shares how self-love is key to a healthy lifestyle appeared first on MEGA.



Plus-size model Rona Tai shares how self-love is key to a healthy lifestyle
Trending Updates Central

No comments:

ads
Powered by Blogger.